Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
To become covered in ice, often of a body of water. I know the lake has frozen over, but I still don't think it's safe for you kids to go skating on it.
freeze (something) into (something)
1. To subject something to cold temperatures and cause it to change state. The frigid air froze the remaining snow into a sheet of ice.
2. To subject something to cold temperatures so that it assumes a particular shape. I entertained the kids with a special ice cube that freezes water into hearts and stars.
See also: freeze
freeze (on)to (something)
To adhere to something through the act of freezing. Is it true that my tongue could freeze to a telephone pole in this cold weather?
See also: freeze
freeze to death
1. verb Literally, to die as a result of exposure to cold temperatures. Gus would have frozen to death had the rescue crew not found him when they did.
2. verb To cause someone to die as a result of exposure to cold temperatures. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "freeze" and "to." The blistering cold would have frozen Gus to death had the rescue crew not found him when they did.
3. verb To feel extrememly cold. You'll freeze to death if you go outside without a coat! Is the bus ever coming? I'm freezing to death here!
4. verb To cause someone to feel extremely cold. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "freeze" and "to." We need to bundle up so the frigid wind doesn't freeze us to death.
[for a body of water] to get cold and form a layer of ice on top. The pond froze over, so we went skating.
freeze someone or something to death
1. Lit. [for cold weather] to kill someone or something. I was afraid that the cold snap would freeze the dog to death.
2. Fig. to make someone or something very cold. This weather is going to freeze us all to death.
chilled to the marrowor
frozen to the marrowmainly BRITISH
If you are chilled to the marrow or frozen to the marrow, you are very cold. Note: `Marrow' is the fatty substance inside the bones of a person or animal. She was chilled to the marrow and wet through.
1. To freeze completely at the surface: Once the pond freezes over we can go skating.
2. To become covered with a layer of ice: The bridge has frozen over, so drive very carefully.