Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to french: France, French words
1. noun An open-mouthed kiss in which both partners' tongues touch. I was a little surprised when she gave me a French kiss on our first date.
2. verb To kiss in such a manner. I'd prefer it if people didn't French kiss in public; it's just not something other people want to see!
The practice of open-mouthed kissing in which both partners' tongues touch. In my day and age, French kissing was not something one did in public!
slang A condom designed with additional tactile elements, such as bumps, spirals, ribs, etc., so as to heighten vaginal stimulation during intercourse. Primarily heard in UK, Ireland. Trust me, you should definitely try wearing a French tickler at least once—your partner will love it.
slang A condom. Primarily heard in UK. I have a date tonight, so I need to make sure I have a French letter in my wallet.
1. An absence or departure from some place or event without ceremony, permission, or announcement. The official story is that he's sick, but I think he's just taking French leave. As the evening wore on, we decided to just take French leave and make our way home.
2. In the military, desertion of one's unit. The sergeant is facing a court martial after it was discovered that he'd taken French leave just before the deadly operation.
Pardon my French,and Excuse my French.
Inf. Excuse my use of swear words or taboo words. (Does not refer to real French.) Pardon my French, but this is a hell of a day. What she needs is a kick in the ass, if you'll excuse my French.
pardon my FrenchINFORMAL
People say pardon my French to apologize in a humorous way for using a rude word. What a bunch of a-holes, pardon my French.
1. n. a real or imaginary act of copulation where the male leaps or dives onto and into the female. (Usually objectionable.) The movie showed some jerk allegedly performing a flying-fuck, just for laughs.
2. and french-fried-fuck n. something totally worthless. (Usually objectionable.) Who gives a flying-fuck anyway? I wouldn’t give you a french-fried-fuck for all the crummy cars like that in the world.
1. n. an act of oral sex. (Usually objectionable.) How much is a French at a cathouse like that?
2. mod. referring to oral sex. (Usually objectionable.) He tried some French stuff on her, and she nearly killed him.
3. tv. to perform oral sex on someone. (Usually objectionable.) He wanted her to French him.
4. tv. & in. to kiss someone using the tongue; to French kiss. We were French kissing when the teacher came in.
1. n. kissing using the tongue; open-mouth kissing. I didn’t know whether I was going to get a French kiss or a fish-kiss.
2. tv. to kiss someone using the tongue. He tried to French kiss me, but I stopped him.
Pardon my Frenchand Excuse my French
sent. Excuse my use of swear words or taboo words.; Excuse my choice of vocabulary. (Does not refer to real French.) What she needs is a kick in the butt, if you’ll excuse my French.
Excuse my Frenchverb
See Pardon my French
To leave without saying good-bye. The British thought that sneaking away from a gathering without telling anyone you're going wasn't acceptable manners across the channel. Curiously, or perhaps typically, the French refer to the same practice as filer a` l'anglais (“take English leave”). Americans used to use the phrase without knowing its origin. It has been said that the French leave but never say good-bye, while Americans say good-bye but never leave. “French leave” is also military slang for deserting.
pardon my French
Please excuse my language. In the days when language propriety was more of an issue than it is now, using a word or phrase that was “unfit for mixed company” was likely to lead to embarrassment. Since French was considered a racy language, people excused themselves with “pardon my French.”