fake(redirected from faking)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. A written order to a bank that has been forged. Primarily heard in US, South Africa. A lot of fake checks have been circulating in the area lately, claiming to be from the local university; in reality, they are scams trying to swindle people out of money.
2. A written order to a bank for a certain amount of funds that has been dishonored, either because such funds are not available or because the given checking account does not exist. Primarily heard in US, South Africa. My ex-husband has been writing fake checks all over town to pay for his gambling debt.
1. A written order to a bank that has been forged. Primarily heard in UK, Canada. A lot of fake cheques have been circulating in the area lately, claiming to be from the local university; in reality, they are scams trying to swindle people out of money.
2. A written order to a bank for a certain amount of funds that has been dishonored, either because such funds are not available or because the given checking account does not exist. Primarily heard in UK, Canada. My ex-husband has been writing fake cheques all over town to pay for his gambling debt.
1. Fabricated news reports presented as authentic. As they aim to drive web traffic to the providing website, they often have provocative headlines. That story is clearly fake news, spreading lies in support of a thinly-veiled political agenda.
2. By extension, any news report that one judges to be biased or inaccurate. That article came from a legitimate site, so you can't just dismiss it as fake news.
To deceive, mislead, or trick someone, usually by doing something unexpected. A noun or pronoun can be used between "fake" and "out." The defender faked me out and then went around me to score an easy goal.
1. A fake video created using artificial intelligence methods ("deep learning"), typically with the goal of mimicking a person's attributes and/or mannerisms. We're in trouble if a lot of people think these deepfakes are actually genuine.
2. The system or method used to create such a video. When bad actors start using deepfake to spread disinformation, it's going to be hard to stop.
1. To act as though one is knowledgeable or competent in some area. A: "I'm panicking and can't remember any of the steps to the dance routine!" B: "Then just get in the back and fake it!"
2. To behave in a manner contrary to one's emotions. She always seemed so happy, but she told me that she's really been faking it all this time.
3. slang To fake an orgasm. I can't believe so many of my friends fake it.
fake the funk
slang To pretend to be cooler or more knowledgeable than one actually is. You can't fake the funk, man—you're either cool or you're not.
to pretend (to do something). If you don't know the right notes, just fake it. I can't fake it anymore. I've got to be honest with you.
Sl. to waste time; to goof off. Hey, you guys, quit faking off! All you clowns do is fake off. Now, get busy!
fake someone out
to deceive someone; to fool someone. You really faked me out. I never would have guessed it was you. The student tried to fake out the teacher.
fake someone out of something
Sl. to get something from someone by deception. He faked Tom out of his place in line. She faked me out of a lot of money.
To fool someone into expecting that you will act in one manner, only to act in another: He faked me out by looking to the right but jumping to the left. The lights came on briefly to fake out the audience, but then they went out and the band returned to the stage.
tv. to pretend (to do something). If you don’t know the right notes, just fake it.
in. to waste time; to goof off. Hey, you guys, quit faking off! Get to work!
fake on someone
in. to deceive someone; to lie to someone; to stand someone up. If you fake on me again, we’re through.
fake someone out
tv. to deceive someone, as with a football pass. They faked me out, and then I stumbled over my own feet. The coach was fuming.
fake the funk
tv. to pretend to be in the know; to pretend to be fly; to fake being stylish. (Black.) He’s only faking the funk to survive in the hood. He gets an A in every class in school.