explode(redirected from exploding)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to exploding: Exploding head syndrome
blow up in someone's face
1. Lit. to blow up or explode suddenly. The bomb blew up in the terrorist's face. The firecracker blew up in his face and injured him.
2. Fig. [for something] to get ruined while someone is working on it. All my plans blew up in my face. It is terrible for your life to get ruined and blow up in your face.
drop a bomb(shell)and explode a bombshell; drop a brick
Fig. to announce shocking or startling news. They really dropped a bombshell when they announced that the mayor would resign. Friday is a good day to drop a bomb like that. It gives the business world the weekend to recover. They must choose their words very carefully when they explode a bombshell like that. They really dropped a brick when they told her the cause of her illness.
explode with something
1. . Lit. to make a loud noise upon exploding or releasing energy. The bomb exploded with a thunderous roar. When the joke was finished, the audience exploded with laughter.
2. Fig. to burst out saying something; to be about to burst with eagerness to say something. The children exploded with protests when their parents told them it was bedtime. Hanna was exploding with questions.
3. Fig. to produce a sudden abundance of something. (Alludes to buds bursting or a sudden blooming or sprouting of vegetation.) The fields exploded with an enormous crop of wildflowers. The cherry trees exploded with blossoms.
See also: explode
blow up in your facealso explode in your face
to unexpectedly fail The military does not rush into a situation that could blow up in their faces. Carey's efforts to explain the need for staff reductions exploded in his face.Related vocabulary: have egg on your face
blow up/explode in somebody's face
if a plan or situation blows up in your face, it has a bad effect on you instead of the result you expected The government's attempts at reform have blown up in its face, with demonstrations taking place all over the country.
drop a bombverb
See drop a brick