Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
1. Someone who is more active and alert in the early hours of the morning than later in the day; an early riser. I tried dating an early bird once, but since I like to sleep in late, it didn't really work out. I suppose it's more out of necessity than anything, but I turned into an early bird as soon as I had kids.
2. Someone who arrives early to an event. We'd better have everything ready for the garage sale—the early birds will be here sniffing around before we get a chance to set up.
1. . Fig. a person who gets up early. I never miss sunrise. I'm an early bird. The early birds were up at dawn and ready for breakfast.
2. Fig. a person who arrives early. The early birds get the best seats. There were some early birds who arrived before the party was set to start.
3. Fig. having to do with early arrival. (Usually hyphenated.) Early-bird arrivals will be given a free cup of coffee. The early-bird special this week is a free six-pack of iced tea for the first 100 visitors.
an early bird
1. If you call someone an early bird, you mean that they get up early in the morning to do things. We've always been early birds, up at 5.30 or 6am. Note: Early-bird can also be used to describe things that are available to people who get up early. The early-bird rate for parking (in by 10 a.m., out by 7 p.m.) at the Millennium Park Garage is $14 weekdays.
2. If you call someone an early bird, you mean that they succeed in doing something before other people. Florida has been an early bird in terms of presidential voting for some time. Note: Early-bird can also be used to describe things that are available to these people. An early-bird discount is sometimes available at the beginning of the season.
early birda person who gets up, arrives, or acts before the usual or expected time.
This expression comes from the saying the early bird catches the worm , meaning that the person who takes the earliest opportunity to do something will gain an advantage over others.
1. n. a person who gets up early. The early birds saw the corpse on the street and called the cops.
2. n. a person who arrives early. There were some early birds who arrived before the tea things were laid.
3. mod. having to do with early arrival. Early bird arrivals will be given a free cup of coffee.