Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
[for something] to decline and grow worse and worse. This industry is going downhill. We lose money every year. As one gets older, one's health tends to go downhill.
downhill all the way
Also, all downhill from here.
1. Easy from this point, without obstacles the rest of the way. For example, Once we had the basic design, it was downhill all the way.
2. Deteriorating or declining from this point on, as in When the cancer couldn't be removed, it was downhill all the way for him. The usage therefore needs to be clarified by the context to indicate which of these opposite meaning is intended. The figurative use of downhill dates from the late 1500s. Also see go downhill.
Deteriorate, worsen, as in Ever since the recession began, the business has been going downhill. The figurative use of downhill for "decline" dates from the mid-1800s. Also see downhill all the way.
it's all downhill
Also, it's all uphill from here. See under downhill all the way.
downhill all the wayor
all downhill from here
1. If a situation is downhill all the way or all downhill from here it continues to get worse until it ends. She came home, but it was downhill all the way. Cancer, I think. Now that I'm 50, it's all downhill from here. Note: You can also say that something is all downhill from there. The opening of the movie is great. Sadly, it's all downhill from there.
2. If a task is downhill all the way or all downhill from here, the most difficult part has been done and it is easier from that point. I had thought that once we reached halfway we would feel that it was downhill all the way now, but it didn't seem to work like that. With this game out of the way, it's all downhill from here because the remaining matches will be easy.
1. If something goes downhill, it becomes worse or less successful. Since I started to work longer hours things have gone steadily downhill. We were amazed at the speed with which the weather was going downhill. Note: Downhill can be used in many structures connected with becoming worse or less successful. For the movie business, it was all downhill from there. His career was heading downhill fast.
2. If someone goes downhill, they become more ill. In February 1825 Maria became ill, was sent home, rapidly went downhill and died aged 11.
in. to decline. Things began to go downhill when the county cut the maintenance budget.