ding(redirected from dinging)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. In mining, the main source of a mineral in given area. We haven't hit the mother lode of silver quite yet—but we will!
2. By extension, an abundance of something. I wasn't looking to expand my record collection, but I sure hit the mother lode when I cleaned out my parents' attic! It's an exciting time to be a researcher in this field, as a mother lode of new data was recently released.
1. tv. to shoot, dent, or knock something. The rock dinged my left fender.
2. tv. to negate; to cast out; to blemish. The reviewer dinged the book, but it sold well anyway.
3. n. a dent or blemish. The hail put a lot of dings in the hood of my car.
n. a stupid person; a giddy person who hears bells. This ding-a-ling comes up and asks me for a dollar for the orphans. I tell her I got all the orphans I can use at any price.
1. n. the penis. (Usually objectionable.) He held his hands over his ding-dong and ran for the bedroom.
2. n. a stupid person of either sex. You silly ding-dong! Try again.
3. mod. damned. (A euphemism.) Get your ding-dong junk outa my way!
1. n. a love affair; a sexual affair. Sam and Martha brought their little whing-ding to an end.
2. n. a gadget. I’ve never seen one of these little wing-dings so banged up.
3. and whinger n. a wild drinking party; drinking spree. Fred had one of the best whing-dings this town has ever seen.