dial(redirected from dialed)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to dialed: dialed up
To lessen something, especially in intensity. I could barely move my arms all week—I guess it's time to dial back the workouts!
To lessen something, especially in intensity. I could barely move my arms all week—I guess it's time to dial down the workouts!
1. verb To inadvertently make a phone call by accidentally sitting or otherwise pressing on one's cell phone (typically when it is in one's pocket). A: "Do you know why grandma called me last night?" B: "Oh, I think she just pocket dialed you."
2. noun The act of making such a phone call. I was excited when Jill called me for the first time in months, but she didn't actually want to talk to me—it was just a pocket dial.
The disk on a rotary telephone that is turned to dial a phone number. I hated having to use a rotary dial as a kid—it's so much easier to dial a phone number by pressing buttons.
See also: dial
1. verb To call someone on the telephone. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "dial" and "up." Well, then dial Joe up and see what he has to say about all this!
2. noun A method of connecting to the Internet via a telephone line. In this usage, the phrase is usually hyphenated. Remember the terrible sound that dial-up used to make? Yikes.
3. adjective Describing a method of connecting to the Internet via a telephone line. In this usage, the phrase is usually hyphenated. Remember how slow dial-up Internet used to be? Yikes.
1. Lit. an incorrect telephone number. (*Typically: get ~; have ~; dial ~; give someone ~.) He got the wrong number and hung up. When a young child answered, I knew I had the wrong number.
2. Fig. [a state of being] incorrect, late, inaccurate, etc. (*Typically: get ~; have ~; give someone ~.) Boy, do you have the wrong number! Get with it! You have missed the boat again. You have the wrong number!
To telephone someone or something: I dialed up my dentist and made an appointment. Would you dial your sister up and ask her what time she's coming over?