Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to demon: Demon possession
the demon drink
slang A derogatory phrase for alcohol that emphasizes its negative effects. Woe be to any of you who fall under the spell of the demon drink.
like a demon
An intensifier used when one puts forth great effort to do something. I'm planning to fight like a demon against this illness, so I'm researching both Western and Eastern methods of treatment. We've been working like demons to get the update finished before the Christmas break.
1. Someone who drives very fast in their car, especially over the legal speed limit. I used to be an awful speed demon, but I got so many tickets that I nearly lost my license. OK, I know we're running late, but there's no need to be such a speed demon. I'd rather arrive alive.
2. An athlete who runs, skates, swims, cycles, etc., very fast. The team's new running back is one hell of a speed demon. The speed demon already had eight Olympic gold medals for cycling, and he finally added a Tour de France championship to his list of accolades.
3. Someone or something that performs an action much faster than is usual. I can't believe you've already read through all these reports. You're a real speed demon! Th tablet's new CPU is a speed demon, all right, but it eats through the battery like nobody's business.
the demon ˈdrink(British English, humorous) alcoholic drink: It was the demon drink that made me act in that way.
1. n. a fast runner; a fast driver. Tom is a speed demon. He qualified for the Olympics.
2. n. a habitual user of methamphetamine. (Drugs.) When they are high, most speed demons don’t know what they are doing.