contact(redirected from contactual)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
no plan survives contact with the enemy
Military plans always need to be changed once they are enacted in real-life military situations. The saying emphasizes the need for flexibility, as opposed to strict adherence to strategy. It is attributed to Helmuth von Moltke the Elder, a 19th-century Prussian field marshal. Men, be ready to make changes on the battlefield—we all know that no plan survives contact with the enemy.
bring (someone or something) into contact with (someone or something)
1. To introduce two people so that they can communicate in the future. In this usage, the first person is named after "bring" and the second person after "with." My best friend wants to get fit, so I brought her into contact with my personal trainer.
2. To cause something to physically touch something else. This usage can refer to both people and things. Don't bring that wire into contact with this one! I start sneezing any time I am brought into contact with pollen.
come in(to) contact
1. Literally, to touch someone or something. Jill got chicken pox too after coming in contact with her cousins while they were sick. Be careful not to come into contact with that plant—it's poison ivy.
2. To encounter someone or something. I'd never come into contact with this theory before, but it's pretty interesting.
be in contact with (one)
To communicate with one. Has anyone been in contact with grandma since the storm hit? Don't worry, I'll be in contact with you once I have some more information.
See also: contact
make contact with (someone or something)
1. To communicate with someone. Has anyone made contact with Grandma since the storm hit?
2. To touch someone or something. Be careful not to make contact with that plant—it's poison ivy. We have a massive leak because the construction crew made contact with a pipe while drilling in our basement.
3. To engage with an unknown entity for the first time. Do you think we'll ever make contact with intelligent life? The government strictly forbids anyone from making contact with the indigenous tribe.
have contact with (one)
To communicate with one. Has anyone had contact with Grandma since the storm hit?
point of contact
A person or place one can go to in order to find information, ask questions, or access or receive services. Our account manager Sarah will be your new point of contact moving forward if you need any information about your account. The consulate should be your first point of contact should you need any assistance during your travels.
bring someone or something into contact with someone or something
to cause things or people to touch or associate with one another. She hasn't been the same since I brought her into contact with the child who had chicken pox. Don't bring your hand in contact with the poison ivy. Don't bring him into contact with Fred.
come in(to) contact(with someone or something)
1. Lit. to touch someone or something, probably unknowingly. How many people have come into contact with the sick man? He came in contact with almost no one.
2. Fig. to meet up with and learn about someone or something. Have you ever come into contact with trigonometry before? I have never come in contact with anything so difficult.
*contact with someone a link to someone
resulting in communication. (*Typically: be in ~; have ~; make~.) I have had no contact with Bill since he left town. Tom made contact with a known criminal last month.
in contact (with someone or something)
communicating with someone or a group; to share information with someone or a group. I have been in contact with our supplier, who will deliver the part next week. I am in contact with the Senate committee now.
See also: contact
lose contact with someone or somethingand lose touch with someone or something
[for communication with someone or a group] to fail or fade away; to let one's friendship or relationship with someone or a group lapse. I hope I don't lose contact with you. I don't want to lose touch with my old friends.