conk(redirected from conked)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
conk offand conk out
1. Sl. (from years ago.) to fall asleep. I conked off about midnight. I was so tired that I nearly conked off. I was afraid I would conk out while I was driving.
2. Sl. (always conk out.) [for something] to break down; to quit running. My car conked out finally. I hope my computer doesn't conk out.
1. to stop working or fail suddenly My radio conked out again, so I couldn't hear the weather reports.
Usage notes: usually said about a machine or engine
2. to go to sleep very quickly I was so tired, I conked out on the couch and never even made it into bed.
1. Stop functioning, fail, as in The engine finally conked out. [Colloquial; early 1900s]
2. Fall asleep, as in Every evening he conked out in front of the television set. [1940s]
3. Faint or collapse, as in I don't know if it was the heat, but she suddenly conked out. [1920s]
4. Die, as in He's paranoid about conking out and he's only twenty! [Late 1920s]
1. To fail to function; cease to be useful, effective, or operable: My computer conked out on me. The car's engine conked out halfway through the race.
2. To go to sleep, especially due to exhaustion: I conked out after studying all night.
3. To lose consciousness or awareness: He conked out after being hit by the ball. She took some medicine and conked out.
4. To cause someone or something to lose consciousness or awareness: The ball hit the goalie's head and conked her out. The mugger conked him out and grabbed his briefcase.
n. the head. Where’d you get that nasty bump on your konk?
in. to fall asleep. I conked off about midnight.
1. in. [for someone] to collapse, and perhaps fall asleep. I was so tired I just went home and conked out.
2. in. [for something] to break down; to quit running. I hope my computer doesn’t conk out.
conk-busterand konk-buster (ˈkɔŋkbəstɚ)
1. n. inferior liquor. Jed kept a jar of conk-buster under his bed against night sweats.
2. n. a hard-to-answer question or problem. Man, what you’re asking is really a conk-buster.