come from (someone or something)(redirected from coming from)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal.
come from (someone or something)
1. To travel from one location to another. She's coming all the way from the city, so she'll probably be late to dinner.
2. To arrive after having been sent from someone or something or from somewhere. Look at this beautiful gift that came from my best friend! She sent it last week, but it didn't get here in time for my birthday. That certified letter came from a law firm.
3. To have a particular perspective or attitude regarding a person or situation. As your mother, I'm just coming from a place of love and concern; I'm not trying to smother you. I understand where you're coming from, but I still don't agree with your decision.
4. To originate from a specific location. I live in Texas now, but I come from Boston, where I was born. Did this coffee come from that new place on the corner?
5. To be caused by something in particular. Most of my illnesses come from the adorable preschoolers I teach. Where did this dent in my car come from?
come from someone or something
to arrive from someone or something; [for something] to have originated with someone or something. Did this letter come from Alice? A notice came from the Internal Revenue Service.
some place Go to from some place.
1. See come out of.
2. Arrive from someone or somewhere, as in This package just came from Alice, or Where did these chairs come from? [c. 1300] Also see where one is coming from.
1. To arrive from some location: We just came from New York.
2. To originate in some location, especially where one was born, grew up, or currently lives: I come from Buenos Aires, which is also where I went to college.
3. To have something as an origin or cause; stem from something: That bad cough comes from too much smoking.
4. To have an attitude or opinion because of some situation: You must understand that I'm coming from seven years of hard work on this project. I don't see why he makes these suggestions; I just don't know where he's coming from.