close to (someone or something)(redirected from closed to her)
close to (someone or something)
1. verb To exclude one from something. A noun or pronoun can be used between "close" and "to." This is an advanced class, so it is closed to freshmen.
2. adjective Near or similar to something. This usage can be applied to physical closeness or to more abstract ideas, like personal attributes. You're too close to the curb, so pull the car up a little. In terms of talent, Darrell doesn't even come close to you!
3. adjective Having a very friendly relationship with someone. I was very close to Patty when we were kids, but I haven't talked to her in years.
*close to someone or something
1. near someone or something. (*Typically: get ~; stand ~; sit ~; move ~.) Don't get close to me. I have a cold. If you get close to the fire, you may get burned.
2. approximating someone or something in some quality or measure. (*Typically: be ~; get ~.) This brand of frozen fish does not even get close to that brand in flavor and freshness. Tom doesn't even get close to Nancy when it comes to artistic ability.
*close to someone
friendly or intimate with someone. (*Typically: be ~; get ~.) She is very shy and really won't let anyone get close to her. It is difficult to get close to a loner like Wally.
close something to someone
to prevent someone or some type of person from participating in or attending something. We closed membership to anyone who signed up late. They had to close the registration to nonresidents.