Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. To cease business operations for any length of time (often permanently). I loved that restaurant, so I'm very disappointed that it closed down. That shop always closes down for two weeks in the summer to accommodate the owner's vacation.
2. To force a business to cease operations. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is often used between "close" and "down." After a thorough investigation, the police were finally able to close the shop down for money laundering.
close someone or something down
to force someone or someone's business, office, shop, etc., to close permanently or temporarily. The health department closed the restaurant down. They closed down the same place last year, too.
close downand shut down
[for someone] to close a business, office, shop, etc., permanently or temporarily. This shop will have to close down if they raise taxes. The fire department closed down all the stores on the block because of the gas leak.
close something down and shut something down
to make something stop operating; to put something out of business. The police closed the illegal casino down. The manager shut down the factory for the holidays.
1. Also, close one's doors; shut down. Go out of business, end operations. For example, If the rent goes up we'll have to close down, or After fifty years in business the store finally closed its doors, or The warehouse had a clearance sale the month before it shut down for good. Also see close up, def. 2.
2. Force someone to go out of business, as in The police raided the porn shop and closed it down. Both usages date from the early 1900s, but shut down was first recorded in 1877.
1. To stop operating permanently or for an extended period of time. Used especially of businesses: After decades of serving the community, the gymnasium closed down.
2. To force someone or something, as a business, to stop operating: The cops closed down our poker game. I'd like to keep the shop running, but the recession will probably close my business down.