Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to clockwork: like clockwork
be as regular as clockwork
To happen at predictable intervals. My daughter starts crying every night at bedtime—it's as regular as clockwork.
go like clockwork
To proceed, progress, or operate predictably and dependably. Everything is going like clockwork, so we should be ready to start construction by the end of the month. The conference went like clockwork from beginning to end.
Predictably and dependably. Everything is going like clockwork, so we should be ready to start construction by the end of the month. The conference went like clockwork from beginning to end.
(as) regular as clockwork
1. Occurring at consistent, predictable intervals or points in time. One thing I loved about living in Germany was that the trains were always regular as clockwork. Every evening at 8 PM, as regular as clockwork, my dad sits in his armchair and reads the newspaper for exactly 45 minutes.
2. slang To have reliable, healthy bowel movements. I've been as regular as clockwork every since I started eating a healthier balance of protein, fiber, and carbohydrates. Drinking all of this prune juice keeps me regular as clockwork!
run like clockwork
1. To proceed, progress, or operate smoothly, predictably, and according to plan. Everything is running like clockwork, so we should be ready to start construction by the end of the month. The conference ran like clockwork from beginning to end.
2. To operate, manage, control, or direct something in a very smooth, efficient, reliable manner. The new manager they hired has been running this branch like clockwork. I intend to run this festival like clockwork, so I'm trying to plan for any and all eventualities.
go like clockwork
Fig. to progress with regularity and dependability. The building project is progressing nicely. Everything is going like clockwork. The elaborate pageant was a great success. It went like clockwork from start to finish.
*regular as clockwork
Cliché very regular; completely predictable. (*Also: as ~.) George goes down to the bus stop at 7:45 every morning, as regular as clockwork. You can always depend on Nancy to complain about the office for fifteen minutes every afternoon, regular as clockwork.
run like clockwork
to run very well; to progress very well. I want this office to run like clockwork—with everything on time and everything done right. The plans for the party were made and we knew that we could depend on Alice to make sure that everything ran like clockwork.
Also, regular as clockwork. With extreme regularity, as in Ruth arrives every Wednesday morning just like clockwork, or You can count on his schedule, which is regular as clockwork, or Their assembly line runs like clockwork. This idiom alludes to the mechanical and therefore very regular action of a clock. [Second half of 1600s]
1. If something goes or runs like clockwork, it works very well and happens in exactly the way it is expected to. The journey there went like clockwork — flying out on Friday from Gatwick it took seven hours door-to-door. He soon had the household running like clockwork.
2. If someone does something like clockwork, they do it regularly, always at the same time. They would arrive like clockwork just before dawn. Every day at 3:00, like clockwork, he comes in here for a cup of coffee. Note: You can also say that someone does something, or that something happens, regular as clockwork. Every three years, regular as clockwork, the great Anne Tyler produces a new novel.
like clockwork1 very smoothly and easily, with no disruptions or problems. 2 with mechanical regularity.
go/run like ˈclockwork(of arrangements, etc.) happen according to plan, without any difficulty or trouble: The sports day went like clockwork, with every race starting and finishing on time.
(as) regular as ˈclockworkvery regularly; happening at the same time in the same way; reliable: She arrives at work on her bicycle at 8.45 every day, as regular as clockwork.
With machinelike regularity and precision; perfectly: The project proceeded like clockwork.