clear away(redirected from cleared away)
1. To move someone or something aside, especially if it causes an obstruction or is no longer needed. Now that I've cleared away those overgrown bushes, our living room gets so much more sunlight! Tell the busboys to go and clear away all the dinner plates so that we can start serving dessert.
2. To move away from something. The sound of approaching sirens caused most of the partiers to clear away.
clear something away
to take something away. Please clear the children's toys away. Would you clear away the dishes?
1. To remove something that is covering some area, especially something that is no longer being used: She cleared away the snow on the sidewalk so that no one would slip. I cleared the dishes away after dinner.
2. To move away from some place: He cleared away from the dangerous cliff. The crowd cleared away when the police arrived.
3. To make someone or some group move away from some place: The troopers cleared the crowd away from the crime scene. The police cleared away the crowd in preparation for the celebrity's arrival.