clear off(redirected from clear off!)
1. To remove something, often multiple objects, from a particular place or surface. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "clear" and "off." Just clear those books off the desk and stack them over here.
2. To leave a place. To convey this meaning, the phrase is often used as an imperative. You all clear off, or I'll call the cops!
3. To become clear or sunny, as of the sky after a period of clouds or fog. It sure became a beautiful, sunny day once the fog cleared off!
clear off (of some place)
to depart; to get off someone's property. Clear off my property! Clear off, do you hear?
clear something off somethingand clear something off
to take something off something. Please clear the dishes off the table. I'll clear off the dishes.
1. See clear out, def. 1.
2. Become clear after cloudiness, fog, etc., as in I hope this fog clears off before morning. This phrase, first recorded in 1816, is heard less often today, clear alone often sufficing ( I hope the fog clears). Also see clear up.
1. To remove something that is covering some area: She cleared off the papers that were cluttering her desk. He cleared the dirt off the windowsill.
2. To clean some area by removing items that are there: He cleared off the worktable to make room for the new equipment. She cleared the counter off and wiped it with a sponge.