Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Related to circle around: roughshod, come full circle
circle around (over someone or something)
[for a plane or a bird] to fly around above someone, something, or some place. The plane circled around over us for a few minutes and then went on. It circled around over the field.
1. To proceed in a circle around someone or something: We circled around the block until they were ready to be picked up.
2. To move something in a circle around someone or something: We circled the dish around the table so everyone could try some.
3. To wrap or place something in a circle around someone or something: We circled the ribbon around the pole.
4. To form a circle around someone or something: The children circled around the storyteller.
5. To proceed in a circle: The plane circled around until it was cleared for landing.
6. To be centered around someone or something: These movie stars think everything circles around them.
7. To come by way of rotation: When the holiday season circles around, I want to have all my shopping done.