chill out(redirected from chill out!)
1. slang To become calmer; to calm down. This phrase is often used as an imperative. Just chill out—panicking about being late won't make me drive any faster. Wow, she has really chilled out in retirement—remember how animated she used to be in the courtroom?
2. slang To relax. We're just chilling out and watching some TV, if you want to join us.
chill outand cool out
Sl. to calm down. Before we can debate this matter, you're all gonna have to chill out. So sit down and stop bickering. Everybody cooled out after the emergency, and everything was fine.
Calm down or relax, as in Don't let it bother you-just chill out, or Rex decided to come home and chill out for a while. [Slang; 1970s.] Also see cool it.
To relax: We hung out by the pool and chilled out all day long.
See chill out
1. and chilly n. a cold can of beer. Hey, toss me a chill, would ya, buddy? How ’bout a chilly, Billy?
2. tv. to kill someone. (Underworld.) I’ll chill you with one blast from my cannon, you creep!
3. tv. to frighten someone. (Standard English.) The prospect of having to go in there alone chilled Willy, but he went in anyway.
4. tv. to reject someone. She chilled me once too often. I won’t take that from a dame.
5. Go to chill (out).
6. tv. & in. to relax; to cause someone to relax; to hang out [with someone]. (see also chill (out).) They are chilling now. For a while they were real rowdy.
in. to calm down; to be cool; to get cool; to relax. Before we can debate this matter, you’re all gonna have to chill out.