References in classic literature ?
During this time Suzanne had returned to her mother's house thinking of Athanase; and, like many other women who have longed to help an adored man beyond the limit of human powers, she felt herself capable of making her body a stepping-stone on which he could rise to attain his throne.
Are these lenses capable of resisting such pressure?
If, then, a man should make this exception and contend that statements and opinions are capable of admitting contrary qualities, his contention is unsound.
Bingley, when questioned by Jane, had long ago asserted his blamelessness in the affair; that proud and repulsive as were his manners, she had never, in the whole course of their acquaintance-- an acquaintance which had latterly brought them much together, and given her a sort of intimacy with his ways-- seen anything that betrayed him to be unprincipled or unjust--anything that spoke him of irreligious or immoral habits; that among his own connections he was esteemed and valued-- that even Wickham had allowed him merit as a brother, and that she had often heard him speak so affectionately of his sister as to prove him capable of some amiable feeling; that had his actions been what Mr.
He wishes to confine membership in it to those who are capable of that pursuit in the highest and most explicit manner.
She proved herself not only a capable, but a devoted nurse.
You wounded me more cruelly than Epanchin, who thinks me capable of selling him my wife
In Prince Andrew's eyes Speranski was the man he would himself have wished to be- one who explained all the facts of life reasonably, considered important only what was rational, and was capable of applying the standard of reason to everything.
Bitterly as I hated the man who had parted us, I loved her dearly enough to be even capable of helping him for her sake.
As this is one of those deep observations which very few readers can be supposed capable of making themselves, I have thought proper to lend them my assistance; but this is a favour rarely to be expected in the course of my work.
If one would have a friend, then must one also be willing to wage war for him: and in order to wage war, one must be CAPABLE of being an enemy.
That is to say if we suppose that A is the event remembered, B the remembering, and t the interval of time between A and B, there must be some characteristic of B which is capable of degrees, and which, in accurately dated memories, varies as t varies.
Though both had often heard a great deal about the saying that the one who steps first on the rug will be the head of the house, neither Levin nor Kitty were capable of recollecting it, as they took the few steps towards it.
Mr Clennam,' said John, warmly, 'I am surprised that a gentleman who is capable of the straightforwardness that you are capable of, should be capable of the mean action of making me such an answer.
The latest tenants of the Manor House had, however, with characteristic energy, set this right, and the drawbridge was not only capable of being raised, but actually was raised every evening and lowered every morning.
Idioms browser ?
- can't see hand in front of face
- can't see past the end of (one's) nose
- can't see straight
- can't see the forest for the trees
- can't see the wood for the trees
- can't seem to
- can't stand
- can't stand the pace
- can't take eyes off
- can't take it with you
- can't tell arse from elbow
- can't thank you enough
- can't think straight
- can't to save life
- can't wait
- can't win them all
- cap and gown
- cap in hand
- cap it (all) off
- cap it all
- cap it all off
- cap off
- capable of doing
- capitalize on
- capitulate to
- Captain Obvious
- captain of industry
- captive audience
- capture imagination
- capture lightning in a bottle
- carbo load
- carbon copy
Full browser ?
- Capability Maturity Model Integration - Systems Engineering
- Capability Maturity Model Integration for Acquisition
- Capability Maturity Model Level Transition
- Capability Maturity Module Plan
- Capability meturity model
- Capability Model
- Capability Package
- Capability Package Coordination Officer
- Capability Packages
- Capability Password Level
- Capability Point Code
- Capability Portfolio Manager
- Capability Provider
- Capability Provisioning Activity
- Capability Provisioning Document
- Capability Request
- Capability Requirement
- Capability Resource Allocation Display
- Capability Set
- Capability Set 1
- Capability Set Management Board
- Capability to Transmit
- Capability-based Command Security
- Capability-Based Engineering Analysis
- Capability-Based Restructuring
- Capability-Focused Technology Investment
- Capablanca, Jose Raul
- Capablanca, José Raúl
- capable of being adjudged invalid
- capable of being adjudged void
- capable of being annulled
- capable of being appeased
- capable of being bounded
- capable of being completed
- capable of being concluded
- capable of being conditioned
- capable of being decided by a court
- capable of being declared ineffectual
- capable of being declared void
- capable of being deducted
- capable of being demonstrated
- capable of being divided
- capable of being done
- capable of being ended
- capable of being examined
- capable of being exchanged
- capable of being figured out
- capable of being fixed
- capable of being inhabited
- capable of being limited
- capable of being maintained
- capable of being overcome
- capable of being pacified
- capable of being perceived
- capable of being proved
- capable of being rebated
- capable of being shown
- capable of being transferred