call for (someone or something)(redirected from calls for me)
call for (someone or something)
1. To call a place by phone specifically to talk to one who lives or works there (depending on the context). Honey, a boy named John called for you while you were at tennis practice this afternoon. I'm calling for Mr. Crane—is he in the office today?
2. To yell to another person or with a particular request. I called for my dad when I noticed the leak in the dining room ceiling. Do you hear someone calling for help?
3. To require something. Well, the recipe calls for four eggs, and I only have two, so I guess I'm going to the store.
4. To ask one to come to a particular place. I knew about the public outcry against my article, so I was not surprised when the editor called for me.
5. To pick one up for transport, as of a car service. Your flight is at 6 AM, so the driver will call for you at 4.
6. To predict something. Take an umbrella with you—the forecast is calling for rain this afternoon.
7. To be a fitting or appropriate time, occasion, or reason to do something. Celebrating an engagement calls for champagne!
See also: call