burn in(to) (something)(redirected from burned into)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
burn in(to) (something)
1. To use heat to engrave or etch something into a material. We need to burn in the letters first, then you can work on the rest of your design.
2. To cause to leave a lasting imprint on someone or something. Unfortunately, the image of you two kissing is now burned into my memory! Gross! This material needs to be burned into your mind before the big test.
3. To cause to remain permanently visible on a screen, as can happen when an image has been continuously displayed on a screen for a long period of time. That image could get burned into the TV if you leave the movie paused for much longer.
4. To use light exposure to darken or lighten areas of a photograph or negative. Now burn in the shadows on this side of the picture.
5. To use a new piece of electronic equipment for a certain period of time to confirm that it works properly. We definitely need to burn in this new server before we put it online.
See also: burn