bump into (someone or something)(redirected from bumped into me)
bump into (someone or something)
1. To touch or strike something or someone, usually lightly and unintentionally. I lost my balance and bumped into the person ahead of me in line. We need to move that coat rack because the door keeps bumping into it.
2. To randomly encounter someone. We didn't mean to exclude you! When Chad and I went out, we just bumped into the rest of the group, that's all. You won't believe who I bumped into at the airport.
bump into someoneand run into someone
1. Lit. to move inadvertently or crash into someone. Excuse me. I didn't mean to bump into you. The child on the bicycle nearly bumped into me.
2. Fig. to chance on someone; to meet someone by chance. (Not normally with physical contact.) Guess who I bumped into downtown today? I ran into Bill Jones yesterday.
1. Also, bump against. Collide, come in contact with; same as bang into. For example, It's easy to bump into furniture in the dark. [Mid-1800s]
2. Encounter, meet by chance, as in While I was downtown, I bumped into George. [Colloquial; 1880s] Also see run into.
1. To collide with someone or something accidentally: I wasn't looking where I was going and bumped into a garbage can.
2. To encounter someone or something by chance: I often bump into my friends at the grocery store.