Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. adjective Of or pertaining to heightened intellectualism or superior learning or culture; especially erudite or sophisticated; appealing or suited to highbrows. The film is by no means highbrow, but it has an intelligent enough story and some compelling characters. After two degrees in literature, Stanley insists on reading only highbrow books.
2. noun A person who has or affects heightened intellectualism or superior learning or culture, often in a pretentious or elitist manner. Of course, a book like this won't be given the time of day by literary highbrows, but it nevertheless provides an engaging and—dare I say it—entertaining read.
Of or pertaining to heightened intellectualism or superior learning or culture; especially erudite or sophisticated; appealing or suited to highbrows. The film is by no means highbrowed, but it has an intelligent enough story and some compelling characters. After two degrees in literature, Stanley insists on reading only highbrowed books.
See also: highbrow
with the sweat of (one's) brow
Through or because of one's own efforts or hard work. With the sweat of his brow, my father turned a barren, fallow little plot of land into the flourishing farm you see today. This pair of entrepreneurs has created a billion-dollar company with the sweat of their brows.
the sweat of (one's) brow
One's own personal efforts or hard work. It's due to the sweat of my father's brow that a barren, fallow little plot of land was transformed into the flourishing farm you see today. This pair of entrepreneurs has created a billion-dollar company by the sweat of their brows.
by the sweat of (one's) brow
Through or because of one's own efforts or hard work. By the sweat of his brow, my father turned a barren little plot of land into the flourishing farm you see today. This pair of entrepreneurs has created a billion-dollar company by the sweat of their brow.
knit (one's) brow(s)
To furrow one's brow, often due to worry or confusion. Whenever there was a problem, my dad would sit in his favorite chair, knit his brow for a while, and then announce that he had a plan. When I asked Bill about what happened, and he knit his brows, I knew I was about to hear some bad news.
See also: knit
1. adjective Unrefined, uncultured, or unintellectual, as in style, content, or quality; coarse or vulgar. I used to look down on people who watched lowbrow movies and TV shows in their spare time, but as I've gotten older I've started to see the appeal in it. The premise is clever enough, but it's so overladen with lowbrow humor that I could never really enjoy it fully.
2. noun A person with such tastes or opinions. I thought the crass jokes were appalling, but all the lowbrows in the audience obviously thought they were hilarious. You wonder how anyone could enjoy such drivel, until you remember the sheer number of lowbrows there are in this country.
Neither particularly intelligent and refined nor particularly uncultured or crude in style, content, or quality. I used to pride myself on my refined tastes when I was in college, but they've become positively middlebrow since I settled down as an adult. It's an inoffensive, middlebrow film aimed at middle-class parents in need of a few hours' distraction.
1. adjective Having absolutely no value in terms of culture, quality, or intelligence; below lowbrow. The film is so vulgar, so thoroughly enamored with its own despicable filth, that it isn't even lowbrow—it's no-brow. The play is just one no-brow sex joke after another.
2. adjective A person who consumes and enjoys media of this caliber or description. Rundown places like this one attract the no-brows crawling out of the woodwork of the city.
by the sweat of one's brow
Fig. by one's efforts; by one's hard work. Tom raised these vegetables by the sweat of his brow. Sally polished the car by the sweat of her brow.
knit one's brow
to cause one's brow to wrinkle. Bob knitted his brow when he was confused. Jane knitted her brow because she was angry.
by the sweat of one's brow
By hard work, as in The only way he'll succeed is by the sweat of his brow. This figurative usage appears in the Bible (Genesis 31:9), where Adam's punishment for eating fruit in Eden is "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread"-that is, he will have to work for his bread, or living. [c. 1600]
cause raised eyebrows
Also, raise eyebrows. Cause surprise or disapproval, as in At school his purple hair usually causes raised eyebrows. This transfer of a physical act (raising one's eyebrows) to the feelings it may express took place in the early 1900s. Lytton Strachey used the term in The Eminent Victorians (1918): "The most steady-going churchman hardly raises an eyebrow at it now."
by the sweat of your browLITERARY
If you earn the money that you live on by the sweat of your brow, you earn it through doing hard physical work. Most people are no longer earning their bread by the sweat of their brow.
by the sweat of your browby your own hard work, typically manual labour.
This idiom is often used with reference to God's sentence on Adam after the Fall, condemning him to work for his food: ‘In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread’ (Genesis 3:19).
knit your ˈbrowsfrown (= move your eyebrows together), to show that you are thinking hard, feeling angry, etc: She knitted her brows, trying to think how she could have spent so much money in one week.
by the sweat of your ˈbrow(literary) by your own hard work or physical effort: They had to live by the sweat of their brow.
1. n. an intellectual person; a person with refined tastes. (see also longhair.) The highbrows usually congregate in there.
2. mod. having to do with an intellectual or a person with refined tastes. Pete is sort of highbrow, but he’s an okay guy.
1. n. a nonintellectual person; an anti-intellectual person. Some lowbrow came in and made a stink about not being able to find any Gene Autry records.
2. mod. nonintellectual; anti-intellectual. I like my lowbrow music and my lowbrow friends!
mod. middle-class; average or mediocre. (Between highbrow and lowbrow.) She has average middlebrow tastes and drives a midsized Chevrolet.
n. a stupid person. (Patterned on lowbrow.) Sam is a complete no-brow. No culture, no sense of style, and no money.
sweat of (one's) brow
Hard work: landscaped the yard by the sweat of my brow.