Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal.
Related to bring up: bring out
bring someone or something up
1. Lit. to cause someone or something to go up with one from a lower place to a higher place. We brought them up and let them view the city from the balcony. Why did you bring up Tom? Wasn't he comfortable down there?
2. Fig. to mention someone or something. Why did you have to bring that up? Why did you bring up Walter? I hate talking about him!
3. Fig. to raise someone or something; to care for someone or something up to adulthood. We brought the dog up from a pup. We brought up the puppies carefully and sold them for a good profit.
bring something up
1. Lit. to vomit something up; to cough something up. See if you can get him to bring the penny up. I did, and he brought up a nickel instead!
2. Fig. to mention something. Why did you have to bring that problem up? Then they brought up the question of money.
1. Raise from childhood, rear. For example, Bringing up children is both difficult and rewarding. [Late 1400s]
2. Introduce into discussion, mention, as in Let's not bring up the cost right now. [Second half of 1800s]
3. Vomit, as in She still felt sick but couldn't bring up anything. This usage was first recorded in Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe (1719).
1. To move something or someone from a lower to a higher position: She brought her hand up to shield her eyes from the sun. I requested that a turkey sandwich be brought up to my hotel room.
2. To raise someone or something up to adulthood: My parents died when I was a baby, so my aunt and uncle brought me up. You will have to bring up the puppy by yourself.
3. To mention or introduce something into discussion: We were having a pleasant chat until someone brought up politics. I had some questions about the lecture, so I brought them up during the discussion.
4. To increase the amount or rate of something: We must bring up productivity in our department. Our last goal brought the score up to 3-1.
5. To make information appear on a computer screen: Can you bring up the main menu again? I brought the old webpage up to compare it with the new one.