Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to bring out: bring about
bring someone out (on something)
Lit. to make someone come onto the stage from the stage sides or wings. Let's applaud loudly and bring her out on stage again. Lily was brought out on stage by the applause.
bring something out
1. to issue something; to publish something; to present something [to the public]. I am bringing a new book out. I hear you have brought out a new edition of your book.
2. Go to bring something out of someone.
bring something out (in someone)
to cause a particular quality to be displayed by a person, such as virtue, courage, a mean streak, selfishness, etc. You bring the best out in me. This kind of thing brings out the worst in me.
bring out somethingalso bring something out
to make something obvious Sometimes a crisis brings the best out in people. Oil polish brings out the grain of this beautiful old wood.
1. Expose or reveal; make conspicuous. For example, His book brought out some new facts about the war, or Her photographs bring out the play of light on her subjects. [Late 1500s]
2. Nurture or develop a quality, as in A gifted teacher brings out the best in pupils. [c. 1700]
3. Present to the public. For example, The publisher decided to bring out this dictionary in a single volume, or Debutantes traditionally are brought out at a ball. [c. 1800]
1. To move or guide something or someone out of some place, especially to make it available or visible: He brought out some food when we arrived. Bring the horses out so we can begin our trip.
2. To reveal or expose something: These documents brought out the facts. The new evidence will bring the truth out.
3. To cause something or the quality of something to be more prominent: I don't like singing this sort of music because it brings out the weaknesses of my voice. Your shirt brings the color of your eyes out.
4. To produce or publish something: I hope my favorite author brings out another book this year. The publishing company has just brought a new magazine out.