brew(redirected from brewer)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
brew a plot
Fig. to plot something; to make a plot. The children brewed an evil plot to get revenge on their teacher. We brewed a plot so that we would not have to help with dinner.
brew something up
1. Lit. to brew something, as in making coffee or tea. Can somebody brew some coffee up? Let me brew up a pot of tea, and then we'll talk.
2. Fig. to cause something to happen; to foment something. I could see that they were brewing some kind of trouble up. Don't brew up any trouble!
Fig. to build up; [for something] to begin to build and grow. (Typically said of a storm.) A bad storm is brewing up in the west. Something serious is brewing up in the western sky.
storm is brewing
1. There is going to be a storm. Look at the clouds. A storm is brewing. A storm is brewing in the west.
2. There is going to be trouble or emotional upset. He looks angry. A storm is brewing.
suck (some) brewand suck (some) Suds
Sl. to drink beer. Wanna go suck some brew? I'm tired of sucking suds. Got any whisky?
Trouble is brewing.and There is trouble brewing.
Fig. Trouble is developing. Trouble's brewing at the office. I have to get there early tomorrow. There is trouble brewing in the government. The prime minister may resign.
1. n. coffee; occasionally, tea. This is my kind of brew, hot, black, and aromatic.
2. n. beer; a can, bottle, or glass of beer. Hey, give me a cold brew, will ya?
mod. alcohol intoxicated. He tries to get brewed as soon as he can after work.
See also: brew
n. brew; a beer. One brew-ha over here, innkeeper!
n. a beer blast; a beer blow-out. Were you at Tom’s brew-out? I was too bombed to see who was there.
n. (male) beer-drinking college students. (A play on The Blues Brothers, a popular movie released in 1980.) You guys look like the devil and you smell like the brews brothers.
n. homemade liquor or beer. My uncle makes his own home-brew.
quaff a brew(ˈkwɑf ə ˈbru)
tv. to drink a beer. (see also brew.) I went down to the bar to quaff a brew.
See also: brew
suck (some) brewand suck (some) suds
tv. to drink beer. Wanna go suck some brew? Let’s go out and suck suds.
See suck some brew