brave(redirected from braving)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal.
Related to braving: get stuck, in favor of, reallocation, pull through, looking out
brave the elements
To go out into and endure bad or stormy weather. Usually used hyperbolically. Thank you for braving the elements to come pick me up. I know there's a slight drizzle, but if you can brave the elements, then you may go play outside for a while.
put on a brave front
1. To appear or make oneself seem more courageous, resolute, or dauntless than one really feels. I could feel my knees shaking with terror before my commencement speech, but I put on a brave front and stepped out onto the stage to deliver it. This girl I'm dating has a big dog that I'm really scared of, but I'm trying to put on a brave front when it's around.
2. To react to or face difficulties, setbacks, or adversity with high spirits or good cheer. John's been putting on a brave front ever since his wife left him, but I can tell that he is devastated on the inside. I really didn't want to spend Thanksgiving with my wife's parents, but I put on a brave front and suffered through it with a smile.
To courageously endure a difficult, unpleasant, or uncertain situation. A noun can be used between "brave" and "out" or after "out." Although I felt dizzy from smoke inhalation, I managed to brave it out until all the kids were out of the burning building. The coach's sudden death made this a very challenging season, but our players have braved it out admirably.
brave something out
to endure something; to put up with something courageously. I don't know if all the men can brave the attack out. The soldiers braved out the attack.
Fortune favors the brave.and Fortune favors the bold.
Prov. You will have good luck if you carry out your plans boldly. (Used to encourage people to have the courage to carry out their plans.) Fortune favors the bold, Bob. Quit your day job and work on your novel full-time. Jill: Let's wait till next year before trying to start our own business. Jane: No. We'll do it this year. Fortune favors the brave.
None but the brave deserve the fair.
Prov. Only a courageous and gallant man deserves a beautiful woman.; Only the best deserves the best. Stop making excuses and just call Gina. None but the brave deserve the fair.
put on a brave face
to act confident in a difficult situation put up a brave front The engineers have put on a brave face, saying the telescope can easily be repaired.
Usage notes: sometimes used in the form put a brave face on something: She puts a brave face on everything, but you know that she is worried.
put up a brave frontSee: put on a brave face
put a brave face/front on something
to behave in a way that makes people think you are happy when you are not They've had some bad luck, but they've put a brave face on their problems. She's very ill but she's putting a brave front on it. (= making people believe her illness does not worry her)
brave face, put on a
Also, put up a brave front.
1. Face adversity cheerfully. For example, Even though she had been passed over for promotion, she put on a brave face.
2. Try to appear brave even though very frightened. For example, Harry was terrified of animals, but his boss was a dog lover, so he put up a brave front . [Second half of 1800s]
brave it out
1. Face danger or a difficult situation with courage. For example, They had far fewer votes than the opposition, but they decided to brave it out. [Late 1500s]
2. Also, brazen it out. Boast or swagger, act with impudent bravado. For example, They hadn't been invited but decided to stay and brazen it out. [Mid-1500s]
brave the elements
Go out in stormy weather, as in We've just about run out of food; I'll brave the elements and walk to the store. The use of elements for atmospheric agencies dates from the early 16th century but is rare today except in this expression, which is often used hyperbolically.
To endure something with great courage: The explorers braved out the hot weather and dangerous animals during their journey. It will be a tough game against such strong players, but you should brave it out and play as well as you can.