bet on (someone or something)(redirected from betting on him)
bet on (someone or something)
1. To place a wager on someone or something. I bet on the winning horse! Which team did you bet on to win the Super Bowl?
2. To be certain that something will happen. Oh, you can bet on Kevin being late tonight—he's never on time!
3. To have confidence in one's or someone else's abilities. I don't often bet on myself, but I'm trying to think more positively these days. I'm betting on my son to get the job—he's very qualified for the position.
bet something on someone or something
to wager something on someone or something. I bet one thousand dollars on that horse! Fred bet a few bucks on his favorite football team.
bet on someone or something
to wager on someone or something. Are you really going to bet on that horse? I bet on Paul. He is the fastest runner.
1. To place a bet of some amount on some event: I bet $5 on the first race of the evening. I'm not going to bet on the last race.
2. To place a bet of some amount on some participant in an event: We bet $200 on the home team, but they lost. Don't bet anything on me in this game; I'm not a very good player. Will you bet on any of the players?
3. To expect or feel sure that something will happen: You can bet on Chris being late to the meeting.