Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to belly up: belly up to the bar
1. intoxicated by alcohol. Fred was boiled—belly up—glassy-eyed. After four beers, I was belly up, for sure.
2. Sl. (of a business) bankrupt; dead. (Like a dead fish that floats belly up.) That's the end. This company is belly up. After the fire the firm went belly up.
belly up (to something)
to move up to something, often a bar. (Usually in reference to nudging one's way to a bar.) The man swaggered in and bellied up to the counter and demanded my immediate attention. As he bellied up, he said, "Do you know who I am?"
To approach closely: The drunk tourists bellied up to the bar and drank some more. They were shy, but when we asked them over, they eventually bellied up and joined us.
1. mod. alcohol intoxicated. Sylvia was boiled—belly up—glassy-eyed.
2. mod. dead. That’s the end. This company is belly up. (See also turn belly up.) After the fire the firm went belly up.
3. Go to belly up (to something).