tanked up(redirected from be tanked up)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
tank up (on something)
1. To fill the gasoline tank of a motor vehicle. We'll need to tank up before we get on the highway tomorrow.
2. To eat or drink until one is full. We're going to be having dinner soon, so don't tank up on chips and candy. We stopped halfway to tank up on trail mix and water.
3. To drink (an alcoholic beverage) to the point of intoxication. Make sure you don't tank up during lunch; we don't want any mistakes during the board meeting this afternoon. He just sat silently at the bar, tanking up on whiskey and soda.
4. To ply someone with alcohol to the point of intoxication. In this usage, a name, noun, and pronoun can be used between "tank" and "up." It was my 21st birthday, so my friends tanked me up all manner of liquor. Someone spiked the punch to try and tank up the entire auditorium of students.
5. To cause someone to become intoxicated due to being ingested. In this usage, a name, noun, and pronoun can be used between "tank" and "up." Wow, that cocktail you made me really tanked me up!
slang Drunk. The type of alcohol that one has been drinking can be included by adding "on" to the phrase and then naming it. It wasn't too smart to get tanked up the night before your exam, now was it? Do you remember last night at all? You were really tanked up on whiskey by the time I got there!