Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Calm and serene. My daughter was miserable all week, but she's at peace now that her tests are over.
2. Not at war. It is a great relief to know that those two warring factions are at peace.
3. Said of one who has died. Aunt Margaret suffered through a long illness. At least she is at peace now.
1. relaxed and happy. I am always at peace when I sit in my rocking chair. When the warm breeze is blowing, I am at peace.
2. Euph. dead. It was a long illness, but she is at peace now. At last, Uncle George is at peace.
In a state of agreement or friendliness, not at strife or war; also, in a state of inner harmony or quiet. For example, Whatever their disagreements, Mexico and Belize have remained at peace, or In his last illness he seemed finally to be at peace with himself. [1300s]
1. In a state of tranquility; serene: She is at peace with herself and her friends.
2. Free from strife: Everyone wants to live in a world at peace.