appear before(redirected from appears under the name of)
1. To participate in legal proceedings. I'm so nervous to appear before the judge today.
2. To suddenly become visible to one. I had to slam on my brakes when that pedestrian just appeared before me.
3. To arrive early for something. I am locking that door at exactly 10:01, so I suggest you appear before the exam starts.
appear before someone
1. to show up in the presence of someone, suddenly. The deer appeared before us with no sound or other warning. A frightful specter appeared before me.
2. to have a trial or hearing with a particular judge or court. You have to appear before Judge Cahill tomorrow. Have you ever appeared before the Supreme Court?
appear before something
to arrive in advance of the appointed time or before some event. Please appear at least ten minutes before you are due. It is best to appear shortly before the time of your interview.
appear under the name of (some name)
[for an actor] to perform under a special name. She is appearing under the name of Fifi. I appeared under the stage name Rex Righteous.