References in classic literature ?
One of them was young, and the other well advanced in years.
A Gentleman considerably advanced in years descended from it.
Here I question not but the reader will be surprized at our long taciturnity as to this matter; and quite at a loss to divine who this woman was, since we have hitherto not dropt a hint of any one likely to be a rival to Sophia; for as to Mrs Blifil, though we have been obliged to mention some suspicions of her affection for Tom, we have not hitherto given the least latitude for imagining that he had any for her; and, indeed, I am sorry to say it, but the youth of both sexes are too apt to be deficient in their gratitude for that regard with which persons more advanced in years are sometimes so kind to honour them.
The anxious mother had to console herself with the fact that her daughter drove away the ineligible as ruthlessly as the eligible, formed no unworldly attachments, was still very young, and would grow less coy as she advanced in years and in what Mrs.
He wore a dark feather in his hat, a border of embroidery on his cloak, and a black velvet tunic beneath -- a gentleman advanced in years, with a hard experience written in his wrinkles.
You who read may be well advanced in years, you may be gifted in rhetoric, ingenious in argument; but even you might quail at the thought of explaining the tortuous mental processes that led you into throwing your beloved pink parasol into Miranda Sawyer's well.
An elderly lady, though not very far advanced in years, with a proud carriage and a handsome face, was in the doorway as we alighted; and greeting Steerforth as 'My dearest James,' folded him in her arms.
I will not hesitate even to avow my belief that nothing further is wanting to enable me fully to realize my designs than to gain two or three similar victories; and that I am not so far advanced in years but that, according to the ordinary course of nature, I may still have sufficient leisure for this end.
This habit increased as he advanced in years, if possible.
As they stood looking at it they heard a whistle like that of a shepherd watching his flock, and suddenly on their left there appeared a great number of goats and behind them on the summit of the mountain the goatherd in charge of them, a man advanced in years.
As they approached, the travellers observed that he was advanced in years, and that his eyes were upturned and yellow.
There are two things to be taken into consideration, both what is possible and what is proper; every one then should chiefly endeavour to attain those things which contain both these qualities: but this is to be regulated by different times of life; for instance, it is not easy for those who are advanced in years to sing such pieces of music as require very high notes, for nature points out to them those which are gentle and require little strength of voice (for which reason some who are skilful in music justly find fault with Socrates for forbidding the youth to be instructed in gentle harmony; as if, like wine, it would make them drunk, whereas the effect of that is to render men bacchanals, and not make them languid): these therefore are what should employ those who are grown old.
In this case, looking at the bold, strong hand of the one, and the rather broken-backed appearance of the other, which still retains its legibility although the t's have begun to lose their crossing, we can say that the one was a young man and the other was advanced in years without being positively decrepit.
His steps were the short and shuffling ones of a man advanced in years and in fatty degeneration, but of a sudden they stopped beneath my very eyes.
Still not greatly advanced in years, he had nevertheless endangered his reason through evil courses--his only sign of decent human feeling being his love for his son.
Idioms browser ?
- adore (one) for
- adore for doing
- adore for having
- adorn (someone/something) with
- adorn with
- adrenaline junkie
- adrenaline rush
- adulterate (something) with
- adulterate with
- adulterous behavior
- advance (something) to
- advance (up)on
- advance notice
- advance on
- advance to
- advance toward
- advanced in years
- advertise for
- advise (one) about
- advise (one) against
- advise (one) of
- advise (one) on
- advise about
- advise against
- advise against doing
- advise of
- advise on
- aesthetically challenged
- affable personality
- affiliate with
- affinity for
- affirmative action
Full browser ?
- Advanced Holographic Decoy Array
- Advanced Hospitalist Medical Group, Inc.
- Advanced Host Controller Interface
- Advanced HTML For Beginners
- Advanced Hull Form Inshore Demonstrator
- Advanced Human Life Support
- Advanced Human Support Technology
- Advanced Hybrid Oxygen System
- Advanced Hybrid Particulate Collector
- Advanced Hybrid System
- Advanced Hydraulic Piston Corer
- Advanced Hydrogen Technologies Corporation
- Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service
- Advanced Hypersonic Weapon
- Advanced Hypnotherapy Training Centre
- Advanced IBM UNIX
- Advanced Idea Mechanics
- Advanced Identification
- Advanced Identification Friend or Foe
- Advanced Identification System
- Advanced Identification Techniques
- Advanced Igneous Petrology
- Advanced Image and Data Archiving
- Advanced Image Intensification
- Advanced Image Quality Diagnostics
- Advanced Image Viewer and Converter
- Advanced Imagery Library
- advanced imagery requirements exploitation system
- Advanced Imaging Conference
- Advanced Imaging Laboratory
- advanced in years
- Advanced Incident Management System
- Advanced Incident Reporting System
- Advanced Incident Response Tool
- Advanced Indication System
- Advanced Indirect Fire System
- Advanced Individual Academic Development
- Advanced Individual Combat Weapon
- Advanced Individual Training
- Advanced Induction Motor
- Advanced Industrial Conference on Wireless Technologies
- Advanced Industrial Management
- Advanced Industrial Materials
- Advanced Industrial Practices
- Advanced Industrial Property Network
- Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
- Advanced Industrial Security Specialist Course
- Advanced Industrial Technologies
- Advanced Industry Information Package
- Advanced Industry Support Partners Lda
- Advanced Inertial Measurement System
- Advanced Inertial Reference Sphere
- Advanced Inertial Reference System
- Advanced Inertial Reference Unit
- Advanced Infantry Combat Weapon
- Advanced Infantry Marksmanship Strategies and Standards
- Advanced Infantry School
- Advanced Infantry Training Battalion
- Advanced Informatics Distributed Medical Access Network
- Advanced Informatics in Medicine
- Advanced Informatics Research Lab