a few


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.

a few

A small number of persons or things. This phrase can differ slightly from few used alone, which means "not many." For example, The party was to end at eight, but a few stayed on indicates that a small number of guests remained, whereas The party began at eight, and few attended means that hardly any guests came. [Late 1200s] Also see quite a bit (few).
See also: few
References in periodicals archive ?
DECEMBER Family is the focus, and you might get better acquainted with a few long-lost relatives.
Komunyakaa's short essay isn't written about rap per se, but in a few pages he identifies fundamental issues more accurately than Baker does in his book.
A few years ago Rooney and his son were driving near his old neighborhood.
I can't imagine what it would be like to go through a few of those.
A few years later, the Tax Reform Act of 1986 liberalized the grandfathering provisions by providing that the participant no longer needs to be in pay status as of the applicable date.
Elia wasn't fired for a few months after turned on the Cubs fans who had booed the team one April afternoon, his diatribe including the immortal line about how ``85 percent of the bleeping world is working; the other 15 percent come out here.
Mailing history, payment method, product selections, purchase returns and demographics are just a few of the many facets of the database ModelMAX can analyze.
He has negotiated lease transactions on behalf of Bell Atlantic, Philip Morris USA and Cigna, to name a few.
A has 10 vans, a few of which are usually traded in each year.
While he was the ultimate voice of the fans, he also held a special place in the hearts of Elvis Presley, Michael Jordan, and President Ronald Reagan, to name a few.
Everything felt different for a few years after the ballpark was exorcised and remodeled, the weak periwinkle- trimmed uniforms were replaced by a fighting red, and the franchise won its first World Series.