screamer(redirected from Screamers)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. slang A lurid, exaggerated, or provocative news headline intended to be startling or scandalous. I love seeing the tabloids at the checkout counter with screamers like, "I only married my husband for money but then he cheated on me with an ex-con!"
2. slang An extremely funny or exciting person, joke, story, comedy routine, etc. My uncle told a couple screamers at dinner that had us all in stitches. Have you ever been to one of her comedy shows? Oh my gosh, she's a total screamer!
3. slang An exclamation point. When you're proofreading a new writer's manuscripts, always try to flag when they're using too many screamers. It really brings down the quality of the work. My boss's emails are usually quite straightforward and unemotional, so when he starts throwing out screamers, you know he's either truly excited or truly pissed off!
4. slang In baseball and softball, a ball that travels very fast after being hit. The pitcher managed to catch the screamer with lightning-quick reflexes, securing his team's dramatic come-from-behind victory.
5. slang In cricket, an especially difficult or awkward catch. He managed to stretch out his left hand and take in an incredible screamer.
1. n. a newspaper headline. Did you see the screamer in the paper today? “The King Died.”
2. n. an exclamation point. (Printing.) Clean up this copy. There are too many screamers. Looks like junior high stuff.
3. n. anything challenging. What a horrible assignment I got. A classic screamer.
4. n. someone or something very exciting or attention getting. This guy is a real screamer! Wait’ll you meet him.