Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A spiritual meeting in which participants are encouraged to repent their sins and accept Jesus Christ as their savior. I've told her that I am an avid atheist, but she still insists on me attending one of her come-to-Jesus meetings.
2. Any meeting in which a frank, often unpleasant, conversation is held so as to bring to light and/or resolve some issue at hand. Boys, we're going to have a come-to-Jesus meeting about the drugs I found in the house, and if no one tells me the truth, then you're both going to get a whooping. The boss called us in for a real come-to-Jesus meeting about our sales for this quarter.
See also: meeting
1. A moment when one chooses to accept Jesus Christ as one's savior and follow the Christian faith. I had something of a come-to-Jesus moment after my car crash last month.
2. A moment of epiphany, enlightenment, or intuition regarding the truth of a matter. I had something of a come-to-Jesus moment after college when I realized that I wanted to be an editor for a living.
3. A point in time in which fundamental priorities and/or beliefs are challenged, reassessed, or reaffirmed. After waking up in the hospital from a drug overdose, I had a frightening come-to-Jesus moment about what I was doing with my life. The political party needs to have a real come-to-Jesus moment and decide who they are and what they stand for as a whole.
4. Any moment or meeting in which a frank, often unpleasant, conversation is held so as to bring to light and/or resolve some issue at hand. Boys, we're going to have a come-to-Jesus moment about the drugs I found in the house, and if no one tells me the truth then you're both going to get a whooping. The boss called us in for a real come-to-Jesus moment about our sales for this quarter.
See also: moment
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!
An exclamation of shock, surprise, or exasperation. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! Don't sneak up on me like that—you scared me half to death! I mean, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! Does my boss expect me to be on the clock 24 hours a day?
See also: and
make (the) baby Jesus cry
To be offensive, immoral, unethical, in poor taste, etc., as might cause or provoke the displeasure or disapproval of Jesus Christ. I try not to use vulgar language, as my mother told me at a young age that it makes baby Jesus cry. You're making the baby Jesus cry every time you lie to your parents!
An exclamation of alarm, amazement, or exasperation. (Could be considered blasphemous to some.) Sweet Jesus, I thought that car was going to hit me! Oh, sweet Jesus, could you work any slower?
See also: sweet
come to Jesus
1. Literally, to accept Jesus Christ as one's savior. An inspirational homily sparked my come to Jesus moment, and I've been a Christian ever since.
2. A phrase used to describe a persuasive conversation aimed at getting the listener to change (and, often, to stop doing something negative or self-destructive). When my parents found out that Jack was doing drugs, they sat him down for a come to Jesus talk, in the hopes that they could get him to agree to rehab. After months of poor performance, the boss is calling Janet in for a come to Jesus meeting.
what would Jesus do
A reminder to act as Jesus Christ would. It is sometimes abbreviated as "WWJD." Whenever you're faced with temptation, just think: what would Jesus do? Don't exclude the new kids. Come on, what would Jesus do?
n. sandals. (Use caution with Jesus in profane senses.) Jesus boots are okay in the summer.