Ignorance is no excuse - Idioms by The Free Dictionary
Ignorance is no excuse
Ignorance (of the law) is no excuse (for breaking it).
Prov. Even if you do not know that something is against the law, you can still be punished for doing it. (An ancient legal principle.) Police officer: I'm giving you a speeding ticket. Motorist: But I didn't know I was exceeding the speed limit! Police officer: Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it. Terry protested that he didn't know it was illegal to break the windows of an abandoned building, but the judge informed him that ignorance of the law was no excuse.
References in periodicals archive
I know that ignorance is no excuse
but I wish Gillian could have been given the same caution I was given.
There's more dental education available than ever these days so ignorance is no excuse
I accept you thought the boy was older, especially as you met him in a pub - but ignorance is no excuse
THE law is very black and white in cases like this and I'm afraid ignorance is no excuse
Ignorance is no excuse
for breaking the law, a clear statement that we all have to live by.
As much as people say ignorance is no excuse
, ignorance is an excuse.
- if you lie with dogs, you will get fleas
- if you like
- if you must
- if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys
- If you play with fire, you get burned
- If you play with fire, you get burnt
- if you please
- If you run after two hares, you will catch neither
- If you want a thing done well, do it yourself
- If you want peace, prepare for war
- if you will
- If you would be well served, serve yourself
- if you’ll pardon the expression
- if you'll pardon the expression
- If you're born to be hanged, then you'll never be drowned
- if you've a mind to do
- if you've got it, flaunt it
- if/when it comes to the crunch
- if/when it comes to the point
- if/when push comes to shove
- if/when you think about it
- ifs and/or buts
- ignorance is bliss
- Ignorance is no excuse
- ill at ease
- I'll be a monkey's uncle
- I'll be a monkey's uncle!
- I'll be blowed
- I'll be damned
- I'll be damned if I (do something)
- I'll be darned!
- I'll be hanged
- I'll be hanged if I (do something)
- I'll be seeing you
- I'll be!
- I'll believe it when I see it
- I'll believe it/that when I see it
- I'll bite
- I'll call back later
- I'll drink to that!
- I'll eat my hat
- I'll eat my hat!
- I'll get a rain check
- I'll get back to you
- I'll get right on it