Ignorance is no excuse - Idioms by The Free Dictionary
Ignorance is no excuse
Also found in: Wikipedia
Ignorance (of the law) is no excuse (for breaking it).
Prov. Even if you do not know that something is against the law, you can still be punished for doing it. (An ancient legal principle.) Police officer: I'm giving you a speeding ticket. Motorist: But I didn't know I was exceeding the speed limit! Police officer: Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it. Terry protested that he didn't know it was illegal to break the windows of an abandoned building, but the judge informed him that ignorance of the law was no excuse.
References in periodicals archive
I know that ignorance is no excuse
but I wish Gillian could have been given the same caution I was given.
There's more dental education available than ever these days so ignorance is no excuse
I accept you thought the boy was older, especially as you met him in a pub - but ignorance is no excuse
THE law is very black and white in cases like this and I'm afraid ignorance is no excuse
Ignorance is no excuse
for breaking the law, a clear statement that we all have to live by.
As much as people say ignorance is no excuse
, ignorance is an excuse.
- If you don't make mistakes, you don't make anything
- If you don't mind!
- If you don't see what you want, please ask
- if you get my drift
- if you know what's good for you
- If you lie down with dogs, you will get up with fleas
- if you lie with dogs, you will get fleas
- if you must
- If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys
- If you play with fire, you get burned
- If you play with fire, you get burnt
- if you please
- If you run after two hares, you will catch neither
- If you want a thing done well, do it yourself
- If you want peace, prepare for war
- if you will
- If you would be well served, serve yourself
- if you’ll pardon the expression
- if you'll pardon the expression
- If you're born to be hanged, then you'll never be drowned
- if you've a mind to do
- If you've got it, flaunt it!
- Ignorance is bliss
- Ignorance is no excuse
- ill at ease
- I'll be a monkey's uncle!
- I'll be damned
- I'll be damned if I
- I'll be hanged
- I'll be hanged if I (do something)
- I'll be seeing you
- I'll be!
- I'll believe it when I see it
- I'll bite
- I'll call back later
- I'll cross that bridge when I come to it
- I'll drink to that!
- I'll eat my hat
- I'll get back to you
- I'll get right on it
- I'll give what for!
- I'll have the same
- I'll have to beg off
- ill health
- I'll let you go