flip-flop(redirected from Flip-flops)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Flip-flops: Crocs
1. To completely change one's opinion or stance. Primarily heard in US. The voters were tired of hearing the candidate flip-flop and felt they could not trust him to stick with one position. I used to hold a staunch view about the case, but then I flip-flopped after hearing the other side's testimony.
2. noun A complete change in opinion or stance. There have been several flip-flops among the candidates during the campaign, with some changing their stance more than once!
3. noun A thong sandal. Often used in the plural to refer to the pair. Don't forget your flip-flops when we go to the beach, or you'll have to walk on the hot sand barefoot!
1. n. a reversal. The president denied making a flip-flop. He said he simply forgot his earlier position.
2. n. the return trip of a long journey. (see also flip side.) Didn’t we chat on the flip-flop last week?
3. in. to change direction or intensity. Jed flip-flopped twice in the evening, leaving us where we started.
4. in. to waver in one’s decisions. Well, you just flip-flop all you want. I know what I want.