alphabet(redirected from Alphabets)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Literally, a soup that contains noodles shaped like the letters of the alphabet. I used to love alphabet soup when I was a kid.
2. By extension, an incoherent or disorganized mix (typically of letters or abbreviations). All of these acronyms in the manual have started to look like alphabet soup.
1. rude slang An abbreviation for "clusterfuck," meaning a chaotic situation rife with problems. Oh, the dinner party was a total CF—the roast was dry, the toilet overflowed, and everyone argued about politics.
2. vulgar slang An abbreviation for "clusterfuck," meaning a group sexual encounter. No, I've never taken part in a CF—have you?
1. rude slang A clusterfuck, meaning a chaotic situation rife with problems. (When spelling something out with the NATO phonetic alphabet, the words "Charlie" and "Foxtrot" are commonly used for the letters C and F) Oh, the dinner party was a total Charlie Foxtrot—the roast was dry, the toilet overflowed, and everyone argued about politics.
2. vulgar slang A clusterfuck, meaning a group sexual encounter. No, I've never taken part in a Charlie Foxtrot—have you?
See also: Charlie
initialisms and acronyms, especially when used excessively. The names of these government agencies are just alphabet soup. Just look at the telephone book! You can't find anything because it's filled with alphabet soup.
alphabet soupincomprehensible or confusing language, typically containing many abbreviations or symbols. informal
The expression alludes to a kind of clear soup containing pasta in the form of letters.
2000 Montreal Mirror Like the IMF, WB, WTO and the rest of the alphabet soup, the FTAA is yet another engine of global capital.
n. initialisms and acronyms in general. Just look at the telephone book! You can’t find anything because it’s filled with alphabet soup.
Charlie Foxtrotand CF (The CF is from the so-called NATO Phonetic Alphabet.)
1. Go to cluster fuck (sense 1).
2. Go to cluster fuck (sense 2).
See also: Charlie