OK(redirected from AK)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Operating or existing in perfect working order or in the best condition to be hoped for. Primarily heard in US. We've got the new engine fitted to the car now, and so far it's running A-OK! I've felt A-OK since I left the hospital last week.
To be the best; to be the most dominant or in control; to be the most favoured or supported by the public. (Used originally in relation to football clubs or local gangs in graffiti writing.) Primarily heard in UK. Someone had come with a can of black spray paint and crossed out the big "Leeds Rules OK" that was painted on the side of the school. But in this part of the country, the conservatives rule OK with almost no opposition.
akand ok (ɑk)
n. October. (Securities markets: options and futures trading.) When the oks expire on Friday, we’ll start looking at the dec index. I told him to buy the “aks,” or Octobers, and he looked at me like I was crazy!
mod. in the best of condition. I really feel A-OK.
1. interj. accepted; agreed. (Initialism. From a jocular, mispelled abbreviation Oll Kerrect.) So, he said, like, “okay,” and, like, I go “okay.” So we both go “Okay.” Okay?
2. mod. acceptable. This cake is okay, but not what I would call first rate.
3. mod. acceptably. She ran okay—nothing spectacular.
4. n. (someone’s) acceptance. I won’t give the final okay until I see the plans.
5. tv. to approve something. She refused to okay our plans.
6. Go to ak.